Welcome to your early pregnancy options and abortion training. We are excited to provide this opportunity for you in an ongoing effort to assist primary care providers in delivering comprehensive health care to patients.
Whether or not you choose to participate in all aspects of family planning, this curriculum can help you be a better primary care provider for women (aka patients; see Emerging Terminology Section below) of reproductive age. There are many skills to gain in pregnancy dating, options counseling, timely referrals, miscarriage management, and family planning.
Primary care providers serve an important role in the provision of reproductive health services as they practice in diverse, rural, and underserved areas (Graham 2005), receive procedural training, and care for patients throughout their reproductive years.
It is beneficial to read Chapters 1 and 2 before beginning your training to help you clarify your personal values about pregnancy options and abortion and think about those values in the context of professional judgments you may be called upon to make.
CHAPTER LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Following completion of this chapter, you should be better able to:
- Identify your personal values and feelings about pregnancy options
- Clarify your individual training goals and expectations, and agree on a strategy with your faculty to achieve these goals
- Describe the range of constraints on quality reproductive and abortion care, and ways this affects access to health care
- Understand the influence of abortion-related stigma on patients and providers
- Understand unintended pregnancy within a public health, rights-based, and patient-centered framework.
READINGS / RESOURCES
- Paul et al (eds). Management of Unintended and Abnormal Pregnancy: Comprehensive Abortion Care (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009)
- Chapter 3: Unintended pregnancy and abortion in the USA: epidemiology and public health impact
- Planned Parenthood Pregnancy Options Information
- The Donaldson Adoption Institute
- State Legal and Reporting Requirements